Taliban release video showing American, Australian captivesJanuary 12, 2017 2:12am

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The Taliban released a video Wednesday showing an American and an Australian who were kidnapped in August, the first time they have been seen since their abduction.

The two men, an American identified as Kevin King and an Australian identified as Timothy Weekes, were abducted outside the American University of Afghanistan in Kabul, where they worked as teachers.

U.S. officials said in September that American forces had launched a rescue mission, but the captives weren't at the raided location.

In the video, sent to media by Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, the pair appears pale and unshaven. They say they are speaking on Jan. 1. In the video, apparently delivering a message on behalf of the kidnappers, they ask U.S. President-elect Donald Trump to offer a prisoner exchange to secure their freedom.

State Department spokesman Mark Toner said U.S. authorities were studying the video and could not confirm its authenticity. He declined to comment on the case, citing privacy considerations, but he added: "Taking and holding civilian hostages is reprehensible and we condemn such actions in the strongest terms."

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade issued a statement saying the "Australian government has been working closely with other governments to secure the release of an Australian man kidnapped in Afghanistan in August 2016." Citing a request for privacy from the man's family, and "in the interests of his own safety and well-being," Australian officials would not comment further, it said.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Red Cross staffer freed in Afghanistan weeks after abductionThe International Committee of the Red Cross says a staff member who was abducted in northern Afghanistan last month has been released
Afghan government says IS militants kidnap 14 clericsAn Afghan official says that Islamic state militants stormed a religious school in eastern Nangarhar province, kidnapping 14 clerics who were teaching at the school and two administrators
Istanbul governor says nightclub attacker is Uzbekistan national, trained in AfghanistanIstanbul governor says nightclub attacker is Uzbekistan national, trained in Afghanistan
Afghan official: 6 civilians killed by roadside bombAn Afghan official says that at least six Afghan civilians were killed when their vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb in eastern Afghanistan
26 sentenced to death in Bangladesh for killing 7 peopleA court in Bangladesh has sentenced 26 people, including a politician and three officials of an elite security battalion, to death in the grisly, politically motivated killings of seven people in 2014
Turkish police officers stand guard at Istanbul's headquarters following a news conference regarding the arrest of a suspect of New Year's nightclub attack, in Istanbul, Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2017. Turkish officials on Tuesday confirmed that the gunman who carried out the deadly New Year's attack on an Istanbul nightclub, which was claimed by the Islamic State group, has been detained. (AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)
Istanbul gunman captured after more than 2 weeks on run
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices