7 Jarring Quotes From College-Admissions ScandalNewser — Newser Editors
The jarring college-admissions scandal is still reverberating, and some of the quotes cited in the affidavit continue to resonate as well. Here are 7 examples, gleaned from the Washington Post, the AP, Vox, Good Housekeeping, and others:
- Felicity Huffman: “Ruh Ro!” the actress wrote in an email to her contact in the scheme.
“Looks like [my daughter’s high school] wants to provide own proctor.”
- A dad: "To be honest, I'm not worried about the moral issue," New York attorney Gordon Caplan says on a wiretapped call regarding Caplan's own alleged use of the scam.
- A mom: "I know this is craziness, I know it is," says Jane Buckingham, CEO of a boutique marketing firm in Los Angeles, in a call.
"And then I need you to get him into USC, and then I need you to cure cancer and (make peace) in the Middle East."
- A witness: "I can make scores happen, and nobody on the planet can get scores to happen," says alleged mastermind Rick Singer to a client on the phone.
(Singer wore a wire.) "She won't even know that it happened. It will happen as though, she will think that she's really super smart, and she got lucky on a test, and you got a score now."
- Good question: "Is there any risk this blows up in my face?" asks California vineyard owner Agustin Huneeus after learning that his daughter can get into USC via water polo, even though he acknowledges she "is not worthy to be on that team." Singer's response: "Hasn't in 24 years."
- Lori Loughlin: "So we, so we just—so we just have to say we made a donation to your foundation and that's it, end of story?" the actress says to Singer on a phone call.
"That is correct," he responds. The affidavit says Loughlin and her husband paid $500,000 in bribes to get their two daughters into USC via the crew team.
- A dad: "He does have really strong legs," says a laughing William McGlashan in a wiretapped call, upon learning that his son would be labeled a football kicker.
- She'll Serve Life for the Murder of Her Millionaire Husband
- Teen Who Pushed Friend Off Bridge Changes Her Mind
- He Was Crushed by a Bulldozer Over 10 Pot Plants
This article originally appeared on Newser: 7 Jarring Quotes From College-Admissions Scandal